Mary, Mary, How Does Your Business Grow?
What are some of the things that can be done to help Business Grow? Does Networking come to mind?
Getting out and meeting new people always has the potential for new clients or meeting someone who can help us find new clients.
What makes a good Networking person?
Here are 5 points that I feel make a good networker -
- Good Listening skills - We were given one mouth and 2 ears for a reason. When we meet someone new, we need to listen to what they have to say about themselves and their business.
- Have a Givers Gan attitude - By giving we receive. This can be in the way of information, business, referrals, introductions, etc. I'm reminded of Zig Ziglar's quote - "If you help enough people get what they want, you'll receive what you want."
- Be a Connector - After you listen, connect/introduce the person to someone whom you feel would be a good resource for them - as a referral partner, information resource, business, etc.
- Be Trust Worthy - Do what you say you will do. Most people do business with people they know like and trust. If people can rely on you, they are more apt to refer business to you and stay with you versus going elsewhere over a price difference.
- Follow Up - The fortune's in the follow up. Rarely do we meet someone for the very first time and immediately do business with them. It takes time and building the relationship. Schedule time to get to know someone and how you can be of help to them. Keep in touch. Life and business change. We can't assume everything remains status quo.
So remember a Good Networker is not focused on themselves and where they are going to make their next sale, but they are focused on how they can be of service to others.
I recently read a book entitled 'The Networking Guru' which was written by my friend and colleague, James Barber. It is a good read with lots of practical information on how to be a good networker. I highly recommend it. You can find it on Amazon.
Painted Lady Enterprises